Cleator Moor is a town in West Cumbria, UK, born from the ancient village of Cleator. The town grew across moorland, out of industry, enterprise and geographical advantages. Rich haematite iron ore of the district, and the proximity of the parish to coastal shipping, and new railway system, account for a rapid transformation.

In the beginning, the moorland of Cleator was barren with a few farms tending a stark land. In the 17th Century, Iron Ore was first extracted from beneath the ground. In the 18th and 19th Century mining expanded with Iron Ore being a vital ingredient for the Industrial Revolution, modernising industry.

The town had several iron ore mines and excessive mining caused subsidence. Some parts of the town have been demolished due to undermining in the area, most notably the original Montreal Primary School and the whole of Montreal Street on which it stood.

The town's skyline is dominated by Dent Fell and the town is located on the 190 miles (310 km) Coast to Coast Walk that spans Northern England. The Sea to Sea (C2C) cycle network also passes through Cleator Moor via a disused railway which is now part of the National Cycle Network.

On the outskirts of the town of Cleator Moor lies the village of Cleator with which the town is closely associated. As a settlement of note, it was substantially populated by immigrants from the North Eastern counties of Ireland in the latter half of the nineteenth century, leading to the colloquial title of Little Ireland.

South from Cleator, is Longlands Lake, a former iron ore mine which is now a local beauty spot and haven for wildlife. Longlands Lake nature reserve is on the site of the former Longlands iron ore mine that first produced ore in 1879 from four pits. By 1924 the mines had been abandoned. In 1939 the mines started to subside and flood the area creating Longlands Lake. Longlands was acquired by Cumbria County Council in 1980.

Cleator Moor has a few distinct communities which have emerged as the town has grown; such as Mill Hill, Bowthorn and Wath Brow.

The population of Cleator Moor is estimated at 330 in 1688; it then doubled from 362 in 1801 to over 763 by 1841; then surged across the second half of the 19th century as result of industrial development. The new town of Cleator Moor was laid out on former Common land from the 1880s. By 1861 the population stood at 3,995; it peaked at 10,420 in 1881. It then declined, to 8,120 by 1901 and to low point of 6,411 in 1951, after which it rose to 7,686 by 1971; today, the population stands at around 7,000.

Cleator Moor is within the Copeland UK Parliamentary constituency, Trudy Harrison is the Member of parliament.

Before Brexit, it was in the North West England European Parliamentary Constituency.

Historically in Cumberland, the town was based around the iron works industry and was served in this capacity by two railways. The Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway (WC&ER) was the first railway on the scene and it opened for goods traffic in 1855, then two years later it opened for passenger traffic. The WC&ER sold out to the London and North Western Railway in 1878 but when the Furness Railway objected to the sale it too became a partner, thus forming the Furness & London and North Western Joint Railway the following year. The second railway to serve Cleator Moor was the Cleator & Workington Junction Railway. This new company had a station on the western edge of the town and its double track main line made a junction with the former company at Cleator Moor West Junction.

The town had several iron ore mines and excessive mining caused subsidence. Some parts of the town have been demolished due to undermining in the area, most notably the original Montreal Primary School and the whole of Montreal Street on which it stood.

The Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway suffered from subsidence which forced it to build two deviation branch lines and stations. In Cleator Moor itself a new line was built curving further northwest than the original, with a new station being opened in 1866 some 600 yards further west along Leconfield Street than the original, which became a goods station. The new station was known simply as Cleator Moor, but was renamed Cleator Moor East in 1924.

Subsidence also necessitated a deviation at Eskett. As in Cleator Moor itself, a new line was built to the west of the original Eskett station which was retained as a goods station up to 1931. Yeathouse station was opened on the deviation line as a replacement.

The influx of Irish workers gave the town the nickname Little Ireland. World War I and World War II saw a fresh influx of immigrants from mainland Europe to join the settled Irish community.

In 1938, Jakob Spreiregen founded the company Kangol in Cleator, situated across the road from St Mary's Church. The original factory building still stands but empty, since the company ended its association with the town in 2009.

With the decline of traditional industries and the resulting high rate of unemployment, the town's economy is now dependent on the nearby Sellafield complex, which provides jobs to around half the town's people.

From 1879 Cleator Moor had two railway stations: Cleator Moor West on the Cleator and Workington Junction Railway and Cleator Moor East on the Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway. In 1923 both railway companies and their stations passed over to the London Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS). The LMS had acquired shares in the local bus company so to make public transport more lucrative the LMS closed both stations to passengers in 1931.

Cleator Moor West railway station was opened as "Cleator Moor" by the Cleator and Workington Junction Railway (C&WJR) in 1879. The line was one of the fruits of the rapid industrialisation of West Cumberland in the second half of the nineteenth century, being specifically borne as a reaction to oligopolistic behaviour by the London and North Western and Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railways. The station was on the company's main line from Moor Row to Workington Central. Both line and station opened to passengers on 1 October 1879.

The station was renamed "Cleator Moor West" on 2 June 1924 to avoid confusion with its neighbour on the former Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway line to Rowrah, which was renamed "Cleator Moor East".

All lines in the area were primarily aimed at mineral traffic, notably iron ore, coal and limestone, none more so than the new line to Workington, which earned the local name "The Track of the Ironmasters". General goods and passenger services were provided, but were very small beer compared with mineral traffic.

Passenger trains consisted of antiquated Furness stock hauled largely by elderly Furness engines referred to as "...rolling ruins..." by one author after a footplate ride in 1949. No Sunday passenger service was ever provided on the line.

Cleator Moor West closed on 13 April 1931 when normal passenger traffic ended along the line. Diversions and specials, for example to football matches, made use of the line, but it was not easy to use as a through north-south route because all such trains would have to reverse at Moor Row or Corkickle.

An enthusiasts' special ran through on 6 September 1954, the only to do so using main line passenger stock. The next such train to traverse any C&WJR metals did so in 1966 at the north end of the line, three years after the line through Cleator Moor closed.

By 1981 the station had been demolished and the cutting had largely been filled in. By 2008 the trackbed had become a public cycleway.

Cleator Moor East railway station was the second station built by the Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway. The line was one of the fruits of the rapid industrialisation of West Cumberland in the second half of the nineteenth century. 

Subsidence led the company to build a deviation line which curved round the west side of the original station and the growing settlement, in a similar manner to what it was forced to do at Eskett a few miles to the east. They built a passenger station on the deviation line - known locally as "The Bowthorn Line" - which would go on to be called Cleator Moor East.

When the deviation line and station opened in 1866 the original station was closed to passengers and became "Cleator Moor Goods Depot." It remained open for goods traffic until the 1950s.

The station closed on 13 April 1931 when normal passenger traffic ended along the line, though workmen's trains were reinstated in March 1940, only to be withdrawn a month later. An enthusiasts' special ran through on 5 September 1954. After scant occasional use the line northwards from Rowrah was abandoned in 1960 and subsequently lifted.

The line southwards from Rowrah through Cleator Moor East lead a charmed life, continuing with a limestone flow from a quarry at Rowrah until 1978, after which all traffic ceased and the tracks were lifted.

Keekle Viaduct
The viaduct is a substantial structure which carried the double-track C&WJR's Cleator Moor West to Siddick Junction via Workington Central main line over the River Keekle. It is situated between the former stations of Cleator Moor West and Keekle Colliers' Platform.

Opened in 1879, it consists of seven equal stone arches across the river. Timetabled passenger services over the viaduct ended on 13 April 1931. Goods and mineral trains, with very occasional passenger excursions and diversions continued to use the line until it closed completely on 16 September 1963.

The tracks were subsequently lifted. The structure was offered for sale for £1 in 1992, but there was no initial response, as any purchaser would have to maintain and repair it, rather than demolish it and recover the stone.

Sectarian troubles (19th century)
It may be that the Irish Famine prompted some increased migration to the town but links between West Cumbria and the northern counties of Ireland had been established before this time. Labourers crossed to work the harvest and, more permanently, take jobs in the mines and ports long before the Famine often prompted by the constant sub-division of farmland among children. From the 1850s to the 1880s, the population expanded rapidly as rich veins of haematite were exploited. From a settlement of 763 in 1841, Cleator Moor grew to house 10,420 souls by 1871, thirty-six percent of whom were Irish. As Donald MacRaild writes, "...formative economic developments, urban growth and the mass arrival of the Irish, took place entirely in years beyond the Famine." The Irish in Cleator Moor were predominantly Roman Catholic but the general influx into the mines and industry of West Cumbria also brought others of a different persuasion from the same country and with them a particular sectarianism to add to the anti-Catholicism of Victorian England.

During the late 1860s the Irish Protestant preacher William Murphy led anti-Catholic meetings throughout the country inciting mobs to attack Catholic targets. Near Chelmsford in Essex they burnt down a Catholic convent. In May 1868, two chapels a school and over one hundred houses and shops in Ashton-under-Lyme were ransacked. This led to the Catholic populations defending themselves and their buildings and when Murphy visited Whitehaven in April 1871, the Catholic iron ore miners of Cleator Moor were determined to confront him. The local authorities requested Murphy and his Orange Order backers to cancel his talks but they would not. He was heckled and threatened at the first meeting in the Oddfellows Hall, Whitehaven and eventually had to be escorted from the place. The following evening there was more concerted opposition as 200 - 300 Cleator Moor miners marched to the Hall and assaulted Murphy before the meeting began. Five men were sentenced for the attack. Murphy died in March 1872 and his death was attributed to the injuries he had received in Whitehaven. Disturbances in the area were regular during the years that followed particularly when Orangemen assembled on 12 July and on that date in 1884, the most serious of them occurred. That was the year the local Orange Lodges decided to hold their annual gathering at Cleator Moor, a deliberately provocative move: "as if to court disturbance the Orangemen... decided they would this year hold their annual demonstration in the stronghold of the enemy". The marchers including eight bands paraded past the Catholic church and held their assembly at Wath Brow. As the gathering broke up and the Orangemen made their way back to the train station, trouble broke out. They were attacked by groups of local men throwing stones and then rushing them. Some of the marchers carried revolvers, cutlasses and pikes which they now used. A local postal messenger, Henry Tumelty, a 19-year-old Catholic was shot in the head and killed while others were listed as having received injuries from these weapons. The local Catholic priests defended their parishioners saying they had been provoked beyond measure by the foul sectarian tunes and the weaponry. Fr. Wray expressed serious regret: "It has thrown us back at least twenty years."

Cleator Moor has a Carnegie library, a grade II listed building which opened in 1906.

The town had two secondary schools but both have closed. St. Cuthbert's stopped functioning in 1977 and in August 2008, after being open for 50 years, the town's other secondary school, Ehenside School was merged with Wyndham School in Egremont, making way for the West Lakes Academy. The academy initially used the Wyndham School buildings until a new academy building was constructed.

Listed Buildings
Cleator Moor contains 15 listed buildings that are recorded in the National Heritage List for England. All the listed buildings are designated at Grade II, the lowest of the three grades, which is applied to buildings of national importance and special interest. The listed buildings include churches and associated structures, houses and associated structures, shops, a bank, civic buildings including offices and a library, and a memorial fountain.

St Leonard's Church
12th century - The nave was rebuilt in 1841–42 by George Webster, and further alterations were carried out in 1900–03 by J. H. Martindale. The chancel is Norman and built in large blocks of sandstone and has pilaster buttresses, the rest of the church is in rubble with stepped buttresses and castellated parapets, and the roofs are slated with coped gables and apex crosses. The church consists of a west baptistry, a nave with a north porch, and a chancel with a vestry. At the west end, over the porch, is a gabled double bellcote

Old Hall and wall
Late 17th century - Originally a hall, later altered, extended and subdivided to form a symmetrical group of nine houses. They are rendered, most with slate roofs. The central house, originally the hall, has three storeys, three bays, a rear wing, and a porch. It is flanked by two-storey two-bay houses, each with a bracketed cornice, and one with a porch. The outer houses project forward, they have two storeys and three bays, the central bay projecting forward and gabled. Most windows are sashes. Along the front of the houses is a wall of sandstone and boulders, with semicircular coping, and pair of monolithic gate posts.

Troughton House
Late 18th or early 19th century - A stuccoed house on a moulded plinth with corner pilasters, an eaves string course, and a slate roof with coped gables. There are two storeys, an L-shaped plan, a symmetrical front of three bays, and a recessed two-bay wing to the right. Steps lead up to the doorway that has a rectangular fanlight, an architrave, and a cornice. The windows are sashes in stone surrounds, and in the wing is a porch.

The Flosh
1832 - Originally a country house, later used as offices, then a hotel. It was enlarged in 1837, and in 1866 a wing in Elizabethan style was added to the south. The building is roughcast with sandstone dressings on a chamfered plinth, with a string course and a Welsh slate roof. There are two storeys and a south front of seven bays. On the south front is a castellated porch with gargoyles in the corners, and gables with decorative bargeboards. The east front has four bays and two gabled dormers. The windows are mullioned or mullioned and transomed.

5 Jacktrees Road and verandah
1856 - The verandah was added to the former Cooperative shop in 1876. The building is in rendered rubble and has a Welsh slate roof with coping at the south end. There are three storeys and 13 bays. In the ground floor is a 20th-century shop front with original fluted and panelled pilasters. In the upper floors are sash windows with stone surrounds. The cast iron verandah rests on a cornice above the shop front; it is glazed and carried on 13 Gothic columns with pierced spandrels.

St John's Church
1870–72 - The church was designed by C. J. Ferguson in Norman style, and restored in 1900. It is in sandstone with quoins and buttresses, and has a slate roof with coped gables. The church consists of a nave with a clerestory, aisles, a chancel with chapels, and a west tower. The tower has three stages, and there is a stair turret to the south. All the windows have round arches and hood moulds.

St Mary's Church
1872 - A Roman Catholic church by E. W. Pugin, it is in sandstone with slate roofs. The church consists of a nave and chancel under one roof, a clerestory, transepts, and a chancel with chapels. The entrance front has a single-storey porch with a lean-to roof, a central doorway and flanking lancet windows. Above the porch are three tall lancets, and an elaborate bellcote. This contains three lancet niches, two circular niches with statues, and a bell in an arched opening.

13–20 High Street and 1 Union Street
Late 19th century - A row of eight shops, stuccoed, with a cornice over the shop fronts, a string course, an eaves cornice, and a hipped Welsh slate roof. There are three storeys and each shop has two bays. In the ground floor are 20th-century shop fronts, the shops separated by panelled pilasters with acanthus capitals. Above the windows in the middle floor are pediments, triangular and segmental alternating in pairs, and the top floor windows have stuccoed surrounds. The Union Street front has four bays and contains a doorway and a decorative panel.

National Westminster Bank
Late 19th century - The bank is in stone on a chamfered plinth, with a string course, an egg and dart cornice, an eaves cornice, and a slate roof with moulded gables surmounted by finials and containing dormers. There are two storeys, an attic, and five bays. The central doorway has an architrave and a serpentine head. The ground floor windows and dormers also have serpentine heads, and between some ground floor windows are engaged Ionic columns. Also on the front are polygonal pilasters.

Local Government Offices
1879 - These comprise two buildings of similar design at right angles to each other. The older contains offices and a market hall, and the other smaller building of 1894 originated as a library. They are in sandstone with hipped slate roofs. Each has a symmetrical front of a single tall storey and five bays, and a central portico with granite columns and a pediment. Steps lead up to the doors that have architraves and semicircular fanlights. The windows are sashes in architraves.

Memorial fountain
1903 - The fountain is in polished grey and pink granite. It has three steps, a moulded plinth, a squat inscribed drum, and a large bowl. From this a column rises and carries a smaller bowl. It was originally surmounted by a pelican, but this is missing.

Lych gate and walls, St Leonard's Church
c. 1903 - Designed by J. H. Martindale, the walls and the plinths of the lych gate are in sandstone. On the plinths is a wooden braced superstructure carrying a slate roof with gablets. On each side the walls, which are about 3 feet (0.91 m) high, form quadrants that are ramped at the ends. On the walls are wrought iron scrolled railings 18 inches (460 mm) high, and on the ends are cast iron lamp supports.

1906 - The library is in sandstone on a chamfered plinth, and has a hipped Welsh slate roof. The symmetrical front has a single tall storey and five bays. The doorway is flanked by granite columns and has a pediment and an inscribed frieze; the door has an architrave and a semicircular fanlight with a mullioned window above. The windows are mullioned and transomed in architraves, and are separated by pilasters.

Cleator war memorial
1922 - The war memorial is in a walled enclosure by the side of the road. It is in grey granite, and consists of an urn with a floral swag on a three-tier pedestal with rosettes and egg and dart moulding on the cornice. This stands on a plinth with a moulded foot on a three-tiered base. On the plinth are stone plaques with inscriptions and the names of those lost in the two World Wars. The enclosure has sandstone walls with embattled coping, decorative iron railings, and a gate.

Cleator Moor war memorial
1922 - The war memorial is in the churchyard of St John's Church. It is in pink granite, and consists of a Celtic cross on a tapering shaft, which stands on a tapering four-sided plinth on one step. On the head of the cross is carved knot work, and on the lower part of the shaft and on the plinth are inscriptions and the names of those lost in the First World War. At the foot of the cross is a tablet with an inscription relating to the Second World War, and the memorial is surrounded by a low wall and eight square posts.

[/fa-images/ SLIDESHOW]_$type=slider$t=0$sn=0$count=6$m=0$d=0$src=random$show=home$la=0$rm=0$va=0

In Memoriam

Coal and Iron Ore have been excavated from beneath Cleator Moor for centuries. Mining for valuable resources was a dangerous occupation - ab...

Coal and Iron Ore have been excavated from beneath Cleator Moor for centuries. Mining for valuable resources was a dangerous occupation - above and below ground.

The pits in the town have seen a number of disasters, and accidents, like other towns up and down the country.

And as you'll see, some of those killed in the local mines were children, with the youngest recorded death being a 10-year-old boy, who's life was cut-short due to an explosion of gas at the Whinney Hill Colliery (child labour was once deemed normal).

The young were often 'Trappers'. Their job was to open and close wooden doors (trap doors) that allowed fresh air to flow through the mine. They would usually sit in total darkness for up to twelve hours at a time, waiting to let a coal tub through the door. If they fell asleep, the whole mine would have been put at risk. 

  • This list is of known deaths - there will be unknowns.
  • This list contains the names of 287 souls. 
May they all rest in peace.


Thomas Blanch, 01 Oct 1873, (accident: 21 Aug 1873), aged 25, Miner, roof fall. 

John Brady, 24 Nov 1868, (accident: 23 Nov 1868), aged 30, Miner, roof fall. 

Sylvester Byrne, 11 Sep 1866, roof fall.

Edward Connor, 11 Jan 1867, (accident: Nov 1866), fall of metal. 

Joseph Cowen, 05 Feb 1861, aged 57, fell down the shaft. 

Absalom Devlin, 08 Aug 1855, aged 18, roof fall. 

William Gordon, 22 Oct 1873, aged 27, Miner, roof fall. 

Robert Hedley, 27 Nov 1888, aged 16, Trailer, fall of iron ore from a slip. 

John Howland, 30 Sep 1879, aged 38, Miner, roof fall. 

Joshua Liddell, 28 Oct 1870, aged 14, Labourer, slipped underneath a wagon. 

William MacDonald, 23 Jan 1874, aged 40, Miner, roof fall. 

John McGuiness, 25 Mar 1870, aged 22, Sinker, fall of stone. 

John James Oates, 03 Feb 1890, aged 36, Miner, roof fall. 

Owen Quin, 09 Oct 1872, aged 50, Engine Driver, by machinery underground. 

Henry Small, 17 Dec 1887, (accident: 12 Mar 1887), aged 50, fall of stone. 

Josiah Traverna, 19 Mar 1869, aged 50, Sinker, fell out of sinking tub. 

James Wardhaugh, 10 May 1869, aged 54, Sinker, fell part way down pit. 

James Winward, 12 Jul 1852, aged 29, Coal Hagger, foul air. 

Joseph Woods, 05 Sep 1891, aged 32, roof fall. 

William Young, 20 Dec 1857, explosion. 


John Aiken, 28 Oct 1848, aged 17, explosion of gas, son of Thomas. 

Thomas Aiken, 28 Oct 1848, aged 39, explosion of gas, father of John. 

John Atkinson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 32, explosion of gas. 

John Barwise, 28 Oct 1848, aged 28, explosion of gas. 

Robert Clark, 28 Oct 1848, aged 13, explosion of gas. 

John Cummins, 28 Oct 1848, aged 24, explosion of gas. 

Alexander Davidson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 23, explosion of gas. 

John Disley, 28 Oct 1848, aged 22, explosion of gas. 

James Dowie, 28 Oct 1848, aged 18, explosion of gas.

William Dryden, 28 Oct 1848, aged 23, explosion of gas. 

Martin Fay, 18 Jul 1871, (accident: 26 Jun 1871), aged 26, Hewer, fall of coal. 

Thomas Fitzsimmons, 28 Oct 1848, aged 25, explosion of gas. 

John Hall, 28 Oct 1848, aged 30, explosion of gas. 

James Harrison, 28 Oct 1848, aged 29, explosion of gas. 

Richard Hetherington, 13 Feb 1859, roof fall. 

Patrick Kelly, 28 Oct 1848, aged 31, explosion of gas. 

James Kennyon, 19 Mar 1847, aged 29, explosion of gas. 

James Lavery, 22 May 1850, (accident: May 1850), aged 17, Miner, fall of coal. 

John Lawson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 16, explosion of gas, son of Richard, brother of Richard. 

Richard Lawson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 46, explosion of gas, father of Richard and John. 

Richard Lawson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 12, explosion of gas, son of Richard, brother of John. 

William Lish, 28 Oct 1848, aged 23, explosion of gas. 

Charles Lochery, 28 Oct 1848, aged 21, explosion of gas. 

Daniel Lochery, 28 Oct 1848, aged 32, explosion of gas. 

John MacDouall, 28 Oct 1848, aged 46, explosion of gas. 

Henry Marsh, 28 Oct 1848, aged 12, explosion of gas. 

John McGuiness, 08 Aug 1868, aged 40, Hewer, fall of coal. 

John McLoughlan, 28 Oct 1848, aged 18, explosion of gas. 

James Milby, 28 Oct 1848, aged 26, explosion of gas, brother of John. 

John Milby, 28 Oct 1848, aged 18, explosion of gas, brother of James. 

Patrick Monaghan, 28 Oct 1848, aged 41, explosion of gas. 

Dennis Savage, 28 Oct 1848, aged 26, explosion of gas. 

James Smith, 31 May 1844, aged 27, foul air. 

James Thompson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 26, explosion of gas. 

George Veitch, 28 Oct 1848, aged 47, explosion of gas. 

John Ward, 28 Oct 1848, aged 13, explosion of gas. 

George Watson, 28 Oct 1848, aged 19, explosion of gas. 

Alexander Weir, 17 May 1863, aged 30, explosion of gas. 

John Weir, 17 May 1863, aged 35, explosion of gas. 

William Weir, 17 May 1863, aged 32, explosion of gas. 

William Weir, 17 May 1863, aged 10, explosion of gas. 

John Wilkinson, 10 Feb 1845, (accident: 08 Feb 1845), aged 26, explosion of gas. 


Edwin Blanchard, 25 Nov 1876, aged 30, Overwinding, fell down the shaft. 

Thomas Briggan, 28 Jan 1869, aged 13, explosion of a shot.

William Brown, 07 Feb 1879, aged 20, Miner, roof fall.

James Burns, 25 May 1867, aged 36, Sinker, fell down the shaft. 

John Cleator, 29 Jun 1882, aged 30, Miner, blow from handle of winch. 

James Develin, 29 Apr 1879, aged 21, Miner, fall of Iron Ore.

John Dixon, 05 Mar 1871, (accident: 02 Mar 1871), aged 36, Miner, fell down the shaft.

Matthew Doran, 02 Jul 1874, aged 34, Miner, explosion of a charge of powder.

William Gorman, 23 Oct 1873, aged 30, Iron ore miner, a fall of ore.

William Green, 25 Aug 1865, aged 24, Iron Ore Miner, roof fall.

John Hannah, 12 Mar 1871, aged 18, Labourer, crushed between waggons.

James Hodgson, 06 Dec 1875, aged 52, fell down the shaft.

Henry Irving, 06 Dec 1865, aged 29, crushed by a fall of ore.

Edward Kelly, 25 Nov 1876, aged 43, Overwinding, fell down the shaft.

Dennis Keogh, 03 Aug 1883, aged 44, Miner, fall of ore.

Philip MacLean, 01 Oct 1881, aged 33, Miner, roof fall.

Daniel Margram, 21 Jul 1881, aged 40, Miner, roof fall.

Moan, 16 Jul 1871, (accident: 15 Jul 1871), aged 11, fell down the shaft.

James Morley, 01 Oct 1881, aged 27, Miner, roof fall.

Henry O'Brian, 11 Oct 1877, aged 63, Miner, roof fall.

Patrick O'Hare, 13 Oct 1870, aged 37, Miner, roof fall.

Michael O'Nail, 28 Jan 1871, (accident: 27 Jan 1871), aged 26, Miner, roof fall.

Thomas O'Toole, 11 Feb 1873, aged 27, Miner, explosion of dynamite.

John Richardson, 25 Aug 1893, aged 18, Miner's Labourer, roof fall

John Rooney, 27 Mar 1877, aged 34, Miner, roof fall.

James Sanderson, 07 Jan 1876, aged 32, Miner, roof fall.

William Smith, 11 Feb 1881, aged 26, Trailer, fell down the shaft.

John Thomas, 25 Nov 1876, aged 35, Overwinding, fell down the shaft.

Michael Ward, 10 Mar 1885, aged 44, Miner, roof fall.

James Watson, 15 Sep 1871, aged 43, Miner, roof fall. 

Henry Wright, 30 Jun 1883, aged 35, Miner, fall of side. 


Armstrong, William, 26 Dec 1843, Stone Mason, explosion of gas.

Henry Bishop, 01 Dec 1881, aged 25, Hewer, fall of fireclay band.

James Dodd, 22 Dec 1810, suffocated.

William Dodd, 09 Jan 1815, crushed.

Patrick Doyle, 21 Dec 1841, aged 35, roof fall.

William Graham, 13 Jul 1882, aged 54, Master Wasteman, roof fall.

Peter Gregory, 19 Sep 1882, aged 53, Wasteman, roof fall.

John Grindle, 23 Jul 1873, aged 14, Driver, overwinding fall.

James Hollinger, 08 Jan 1879, aged 20, Hewer, roof fall.

Richard Johnson, 26 Jul 1894, aged 66, roof fall.

William James Jolley, 19 Apr 1885, (accident: 15 Apr 1885), aged 21, roof fall.

William Lindsay, 19 Sep 1882, aged 51, Wasteman, roof fall.

Willis Little, 20 Aug 1841, aged 27, fell down the shaft. 

Hugh McFadden, 28 Nov 1890, aged 34, Shaftman, fell down the shaft.

William John McKewon, 18 Apr 1879, aged 42, Hewer, fall of bandstone.

James McManus, 03 May 1881, aged 14, Bank Foot Boy, crushed by horse.

John Moor, 28 Jan 1881, aged 18, Hewer, fall of ice from shaft side.

John Simm, 17 Oct 1877, (accident: 19 Jun 1877), aged 24, Hewer, fall of fire clay band.

Michael Smith, 23 Jul 1873, aged 72, Hewer, Overwinding, fell down the shaft. 

Charles Trueman, 25 Nov 1875, aged 36, Fireman, fell between cog-wheels.


Thomas Bell, 13 Jan 1917, (accident: 15 Dec 1916), aged 57, Miner, suffocated. 

William John Bray, 19 Aug 1879, aged 19, Stoneman, explosion of gunpowder. 

James Byrne, 02 Feb 1916, suffocated. 

Robert Downey, 30 May 1889, aged 35, Hewer, fall of coal

William John Faller, 19 Aug 1879, aged 23, Stoneman, explosion of gunpowder. 

George Irving, 02 Feb 1916, suffocated. 

Robert Poland, 04 Apr 1883, aged 16, Trailer, fall down the shaft. 

Henry Thomas, 30 Aug 1880, aged 34, Sinker, fell down the shaft.

William Bowman, 05 Mar 1879, aged 19, Miner, fall of ore from forebreast.

William Brocklebank, 18 Apr 1873, aged 57, Miner, roof fall. 

James Brooks, 30 Apr 1873, aged 20, Miner, roof fall. 

William Bryan, 08 Jul 1874, aged 36, Miner, blow on the head from a piece of timber. 

Bernard Burns, 14 Aug 1867, aged 35, Miner, fall of ore. 

Daniel Burns, 09 Apr 1868, (accident: 07 Apr 1868), Miner, cage accident. 

Patrick Burns, 16 Jul 1871, (accident: 15 Jul 1871), hit by waggons. 

Terrence Burns, 14 Jan 1882, aged 38, Miner, roof fall. 

John Colgan, 02 Nov 1881, (accident: 25 Oct 1881), aged 43, crushed by a fall of ore. 

Daniel Conway, 04 Jun 1875, aged 18, Labourer, falling of ground in a drift. 

James Dennelly, 13 Mar 1882, aged 40, Labourer, crushed by frame of falling windlass. 

Arthur Doran, 17 Aug 1886, aged 41, Miner, fall of roof; after firing a shot. 

James Fagan, 05 Dec 1878, aged 26, Miner, fall of ore. 

Francis Fletcher, 02 Jun 1871, aged 22, Miner, fall of roof and side.

John Flinn, 08 Sep 1881, aged 42, Miner, roof fall. 

Patrick Foy, 01 Sep 1924, (accident: 24 Jan 1924) aged 69, Miner, fall against ore. 

Thomas Girvan, 11 Jan 1876, aged 22, Miner, fall of ore after firing a shot. 

Robert Graham, 12 Apr 1883, aged 50, Miner, roof fall 

William Haile, 12 May 1903, aged 31, Miner, roof fall.

George Hannay, 08 May 1877, aged 25, Miner, fall of ore after firing a shot. 

Richard Hannay, 14 Apr 1868, (accident: 07 Apr 1868), Miner, cage accident. 

Timothy Harkness, 01 Aug 1874, aged 61, Hanger on, cage came down on him. 

Amos Hayton, 20 Dec 1878, aged 48, Miner, roof fall. 

Patrick Hellon, 19 Dec 1876, aged 45, Miner, fall of ore after firing a shot. 

James Higgins, 11 Mar 1891, aged 51, Iron Ore Miner, entrapment and exhaustion. 

Edward Hope, 09 Mar 1883. 

Patrick Keenan, 25 Apr 1879, aged 30, Miner, explosion of dynamite. 

John Kirk, 08 May 1871, caught by machinery. 

Joseph Kyles, 31 May 1878, aged 21, Miner, crushed by rising cage. 

William Lloyd, 02 Jan 1869, aged 27, Miner, fall of earth. 

Alexander Maguire, 26 Sep 1867, aged 42, Iron Ore Miner, fall of ore. 

George Middleton, 15 May 1904, aged 11,  (Not employed - Schoolboy). 

John Morris, 07 Mar 1872, fall. 

Joseph Mourning, 19 Nov 1874, aged 22, Sinker, overwound to the headgear. 

Bernard Murphy, 24 Sep 1894, aged 45, Miner, crushed by cage. 

Michael Murphy, 10 Jun 1876, aged 21, Labourer, struck by cage. 

Thomas Murphy, 14 Jan 1879, aged 26, Miner, roof fall. 

Robert Nixon, 27 Aug 1877, (accident: 01 Aug 1877), aged 50, Labourer, hit by waggon. 

John Riley, 26 Nov 1870, aged 27, Sinker, fell down the shaft. 

John Rodgers, 16 Oct 1906, (accident: 15 Oct 1906), aged 27, Labourer. 

James Sanderson, 07 Jan 1876, aged 32, fall of roof. 

Philip Savage, 28 Jan 1874, aged 42, Miner, fall of roof. 

Michael Scott, 24 Sep 1894, aged 55, Miner, crushed by rising cage. 

John Skelton, 17 Nov 1870, aged 34, Iron Ore Miner, roof fall. 

Charles Smith, 25 Jan 1899, aged 17, Brake Boy, hit by chain. 

John Southward, 18 Jun 1874, aged 28, Miner, roof fall. 

John Tear, 04 Apr 1874, aged 34, Miner, roof fall. 

Isaac Thompson, 21 Jul 1882, aged 60, Miner, roof fall.

Thomas Timmins, 12 Oct 1867, aged 42, metal weighing six tons fell upon him. 

Thomas Tomlinson, 28 May 1874, aged 40, Miner. 

John Trembath, 05 Oct 1885, aged 33, Miner, roof fall. 

Isaac Tyson, 13 May 1877, aged 27, Miner, roof fall.

William Vicarry, 21 Feb 1879, aged 15, Nipper, crushed by bogie. 

James Watson, 24 Mar 1874, aged 39, Miner, hit his head on a water barrel. 

John Watson, 29 Apr 1892, 9aged 55, Miner, ore fell away during retimbering. 

Palmer Watson, 14 Feb 1883, aged 40, Miner, fall of stone. 

Matthew Wison, 31 Aug 1874, aged 45, Miner, roof fall. 


Michael Ash, 12 Dec 1890, aged 50, Miner, roof fall. 

James Bryan, 14 May 1897, aged 27, Miner, roof fall.

John Burns, 10 Jul 1889, aged 36, Miner, metal fell from slip.

James Close, 04 Aug 1882, aged 20, Miner, roof fall.

John Graham, 17 Dec 1913, aged 54, Miner, crushed by 2 tonnes falling from side.

John Holmes, 21 Jan 1888, aged 26, Miner's Loader, fall of ore.

William Johnson, 10 Jan 1888, aged 36, Miner, fall of shale. 

Felix Keough, 30 Aug 1895, aged 43, Miner, fall of ore and stone. 

Edward Killen, 29 Mar 1888, aged 26, Labourer, roof fall. 

Anthony Mandell, 03 Sep 1875, aged 64, crushed by rising cage. 

David McVicar, 28 Nov 1882, aged 20, Miner, struck by stone from a shot. 

John O'Pray, 13 Feb 1891, aged 42, Labourer, falling stone. 

Edward Richards, 02 Feb 1883, aged 36, Miner, fall of ore.


James Edward Blair, 30 Sep 1941, aged 32, Miner.

Samuel James Cotcher, 18 Mar 1873, aged 23, roof fall.

James Glanville, 11 Nov 1869, (accident: 23 Oct 1869), aged 40, fell upon an iron bar. 

Robert Leeming, 01 Oct 1901, fell down dead. 

John Shaw, 21 Oct 1863, large stone fell upon his head.

Charles Shepherd, 08 Dec 1870, aged 60, fell down dead. 

Jacob Southward, 28 Aug 1856, roof fall. 


Daniel O'Neill, 19 Aug 1927, aged 66, roof fall. 


John Rowe, 13 Jul 1912, (accident: 18 Jun 1912), aged 43, Miner, struck by bogie. 


James Beck, 04 Dec 1856, aged 50, Miner, cage fell down the shaft. 

John Brown, 04 Dec 1856, aged 28, Banksman, cage fell down the shaft. 

William Currie, 07 Nov 1889, aged 30, Miner, roof fall. 

William Foss, 16 Dec 1875, cage fell down the shaft. 

John Gamwells, 24 Dec 1855, fell down the shaft

Thomas Graham, 24 May 1890, aged 21, Banksman, crushed by winding engine.

Robinson Hannah, 08 Oct 1900, aged 29, Miner, fall of ore. 

Andrew Ireland, 15 Oct 1878, aged 59, Manager, fell down the shaft. 

William Jenkinson, 24 Apr 1869, Miner, fell down the shaft

William Lancaster, 09 Sep 1869, (accident: 11 Jun 1869), aged 42, Miner, crushed by beam. 

Hugh McAlly, 11 Jun 1862, fall of iron ore. 

James McAvoy, 30 Nov 1888, aged 21, Trailer, suffocation by carbonic acid gas. 

Costlet McIlroy, 20 May 1877, aged 42, Miner, waggon ran over his body on the pit top. 

William McNay, 26 Mar 1856, Furnace Man, dropped down dead. 

William Middleton, 19 Feb 1876, (accident: 04 Feb 1876), aged 33, Miner, dynamite exploded.

John Mills, 30 Nov 1888, aged 43, Miner, suffocation by carbonic acid gas.

John O'Hare, 24 Sep 1880, aged 17, Labourer, crushed by the connecting rod of pumps.

Barnard Owens, 20 Nov 1867, aged 24, roof fall. 

James Philips, 30 Nov 1888, aged 38, Miner, suffocation by carbonic acid gas. 

Henry Riley, 29 Mar 1890, (accident: 21 Mar 1890), aged 50, Blacksmiths Striker, fall from head gears. 

James Rodgers, 14 Jun 1910, (accident: 03 Sep 1909), aged 62, Miner, roof fall. 

Charles Rooney, 20 Aug 1878, aged 56, Miner, fall of ore. 

John Rowe, 18 Dec 1895, aged 62, Miner, dynamite exploded.

John Thompson,  12 Jun 1874, aged 50, Miner, fall of ore. 


John Burns, 05 Feb 1894, aged 30, Labourer, drowned. 

Joseph Greenhow, 02 Aug 1888, aged 25, Trailer, struck by descending cage, taking him down the pit. 

Joshua Jennings, 01 Nov 1876, Miner, timber fell on him. 

Wilson Mitchell, 16 Feb 1924, aged 57, Banksman, fell from gantry. 


Hartley Braithwaite, 17 Nov 1898, aged 23, Miner's Labourer, roof fall. 

John Cullinder, 12 May 1890, aged 58, Miner, fall of stone. 

Tyson Gainford, 19 Dec 1899, aged 23, Labourer, struck by falling ore. 

Thomas Gunn, 12 Jun 1900, aged 56, Miner, Deceased, fall of bad ground. 

William Irving, 12 May 1890, aged 20, Trailer, fall of stone. 

Henry Looney, 09 Mar 1895, aged 45, Miner, roof fall.


Armstrong, -, 27 Jun 1861, roof fall

John Bell, 21 Jul 1860, roof fall.

Isaacs Bewsher, 03 Nov 1885, aged 39, Miner, fall of rubbish. 

Mason Birbeck, 01 Dec 1890, aged 49, Miner, ore from shot explosion struck him.

Daniel Burns, 05 Mar 1872, explosion. 

George Burton, 22 Jan 1873, fall of stone. 

Patrick Cannon, 28 Feb 1857, fall of ore.

John Casson, 18 Sep 1882, aged 25, Miner, struck by balance weight falling down shaft.

Thomas Christian, 19 Jul 1839, roof fall. 

George Clark, 09 Mar 1874, (accident: 30 May 1873), aged 46, Miner, fall of ground.

George Clarke, 16 Aug 1874, (accident: 30 May 1874), aged 46, Miner, roof fall. 

Henry Clarke, 20 Jul 1864, fell down the shaft.

James Collins, 21 Jun 1883, aged 20, Miner, roof fall.

Thomas Coulthard, 24 Jul 1890, aged 24, Trailer, fell down the shaft.

Matthew Cullerton, 09 Mar 1874, aged 56, Miner, crushed in the cage. 

Henry Errington, 21 Aug 1892, aged 67, Miner, fall of ore. 

John Hyland, 15 Nov 1880, aged 45, Miner, fall of ore.

John Irving, 04 Feb 1899, aged 19, Labourer, struck by bogie. 

John Kirkby, 22 Sep 1853, fall of ore.

William Little, 18 Apr 1863, aged 51, Miner, fall of ore. 

William Lynch, 07 Mar 1876, aged 18, Trailer, fell down the shaft. 

Peter McAvoy, 19 Aug 1875, aged 26, Miner, fall of ore.

Nicholas McEvoy, 10 Sep 1870, aged 44, ton of metal fell upon him from the roof.

James Murien, 30 Dec 1913, aged 24, Miner, roof fall. 

John Selkirk, 19 Mar 1849, Joiner.

Samuel Stewart, 18 Nov 1892, aged 35, Miner, fall of ore.

Isaac Teesdale, 24 Apr 1889, aged 45, Miner, roof fall. 

William Tidyman, 07 Mar 1895, aged 50, Miner, fall of ore.

John Todd, 29 Jun 1900, aged 48, Miner, roof fall. 

Isaac Todhunter, 24 Apr 1891, aged 60, Lead Miner, fall of rock.

George Williams, 03 Nov 1885, aged 36, Miner, fall of rubbish.

George Wilson, 18 Jan 1887, aged 18, Labourer, fell down the shaft.

William Wilson, 12 Nov 1863, Miner, fall of stone.


Peter Dobson, 03 Aug 1846, Explosion. 

Joseph Douglas, 03 Aug 1846, Explosion. 

Joseph Hunter, 31 Jan 1860, aged 11, roof fall.

James Longcake, 10 Jan 1876, (accident: 10 Dec 1875), Coal Miner, roof fall.

James Young, 29 Nov 1852, aged 44, roof fall. 


Edward Telfer, 06 Dec 1911, aged 28, Sinker, tram was blown into the shaft during a fierce gale.

Edward Young, 11 Jan 1872, aged 17, fall of metal. 


William Bruce, 26 Oct 1866, aged 32, roof fall.

Joseph Burns, 04 Jul 1865, aged 11, roof fall.

David Cowie, 27 Jan 1862, aged 27, explosion.

John Cunningham, 08 Mar 1866, aged 21, roof fall.

William Grindale, 16 Dec 1864, aged 35, fall of stone.

Thomas Hall, 27 Jan 1862, aged 24, explosion.

David Napier, 16 Feb 1864, agd 56, suffocated by choke damp.

Thomas Stubbs, 03 Jun 1870, aged 28, roof fall. 

Thomas Stubbs, 30 May 1871, aged 28, Hewer, fall of fire clay.

Daniel Todd, 02 Apr 1863, aged 12, Trapper, cage accident.

Charles Wade, 23 May 1866, aged 58, fall of coal.


James Francis, 30 May 1823, aged 13.


John Rouke, 05 Nov 1889, aged 50, Miner, fall of stone.

/fa-comment/ OTHER COMMENTS$show=post$c=3




404 / ERROR \ 404



[/fa-history/ CLEATOR MOOR HISTORY]_$type=three$m=0$l=0$c=6$cm=0$hide=home$source=random

[/fa-address-card/ POSTCARD STORIES]_$type=three$m=0$l=0$c=6$cm=0$hide=home$source=random

[/fa-camera/ CLEATOR MOOR PHOTOS]_$type=three$m=0$l=0$c=6$cm=0$hide=home$source=random


Book,1,Cleator Moor History,54,Cleator Moor News,14,News,3,Photography,30,Photos For Sale,11,Photos Of Cleator Moor,16,Photos Of West Cumbria,14,Postcard Stories,16,Walking Routes,3,
Cleator Moor (Little Ireland): In Memoriam
In Memoriam
Cleator Moor (Little Ireland)
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All SUGGESTED READING LITTLE IRELAND ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request HOME Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content