The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on corner of Market Place and Earl Street (pictured) opened on 23rd March 1879 at a cost of £3501. In 1884 £143 was spent erecting side galleries and a Sunday school was added in 1890/1. A new organ was installed in 1897.
On 17th September 1932, the church was destroyed by fire.
The church was rebuilt and opened on 14th March 1934. In 1940 it had 335 sittings on pews. There was also a schoolroom and ten other rooms.
In 1980 there were 419 sittings in the chapel and, seven other rooms.
|Sunday School, built by Mr David Moore|