Little Ireland is a local hub keeping residents informed of occurrences in and around the town with in-depth coverage. News, history, photos, and lots more. If you want to read news about, cleator moor health centre, cleator moor celtic, cleator moor post office, cleator moor activity centre, cleator moor library, cleator moor taxis, cleator moor chemist, cleator moor dentist, cleator moor weather, cleator moor abc, cleator moor age uk, cleator moor autobodies, cleator moor accommodation, cleator moor astroturf, cleator moor army cadets, cleator moor attack ,cleator moor activity centre whitehaven ,cleator moor bowls centre , cleator moor bike shop, cleator moor brass band, cleator moor boxing club, cleator moor brewery, cleator moor businesses, cleator moor bus times, cleator moor bowling green, cleator moor business centre, b&b cleator moor, cleator moor council, cleator moor credit union, cleator moor crash, cleator moor chattanooga, cleator moor celtic twitter, cleator moor , umbria, c & e builders cleator moor, c and c taxis cleator moor, cleator moor doctors, cleator moor dental clinic, cleator moor dental centre, then you have come to the right place!


What's more, Little Ireland also covers cleator moor dentist, cleator moor dog kennels, j d autos cleator moor, cleator moor emergency dentist, cleator moor events, cleator moor england, cleator moor emeralds, cleator moor to egremont bus times, cleator moor to egremont, cleator moor industrial estate, cleator moor to ennerdale bridge, cleator moor cumberland england, cleator moor fellview, cleator moor fc, cleator moor flower shop, cleator moor football club, cleator moor fitness centre, cleator moor facebook, cleator moor florists, cleator moor funeral directors, cleator moor fitness classes, cleator moor for sale, cleator moor garage, cleator moor gp, cleator moor gun shop, cleator moor google maps, cleator moor grotto, cleator moor gun club, cleator moor gbh, cleator moor celtic ground, cleator moor history, cleator moor houses for sale, cleator moor hotels, cleator moor health centre birks road, cleator moor health centre pharmacy, cleator moor hairdressers, cleator moor health centre prescriptions, cleator moor indoor bowling club.


If that doesn't whet your appetite, then what about the following from Little Ireland? cleator moor indian, cleator moor irish, cleator moor iron ore mines, cleator moor indian takeaway, cleator moor walk in centre, cleator moor jobs, cleator moor celtic juniors, cleator moor man, cleator moor murders, cleator moor mines, cleator moor methodist church, cleator moor medical centre, cleator moor masonic hall, cleator moor man found dead, cleator moor masonic centre, cleator moor market ,cleator moor news ,cleator moor new houses ,cleator moor nursery school, cleator moor revealed, cleator moor rightmove, cleator moor restaurants, cleator moor road closure, cleator moor rugby club, cleator moor recycling, cleator moor railway, cleator moor roll of honour, cleator moor surgery, cleator moor shops, cleator moor school, cleator moor sports centre, cleator moor sports field, cleator moor swimming pool, cleator moor spiritual church, cleator moor surgery birks road, cleator moor takeaway, cleator moor to whitehaven, cleator moor travis perkins, cleator moor town councillors, cleator moor credit union opening times.

The Railway

SHARE:

Cleator Moor Railway Station, C1906
Cleator Moor Railway Station, C1906
Cleator Moor had three passenger stations:
  • The original 1857 Cleator Moor station became a goods station when it was replaced in 1866.
  • Its 1866 replacement which went on to be known as Cleator Moor East, and.
  • The rival 1879 station which went on to be known as Cleator Moor West.
The Cleator Moor West railway station was opened as "Cleator Moor" by the Cleator and Workington Junction Railway (C&WJR) in 1879. It served the growing industrial town of Cleator Moor, Cumbria, England. It was mainly used for coal, limestone and iron ore traffic for the local industries.

All lines in the area were primarily aimed at mineral traffic, notably iron ore, coal and limestone, none more so than the new line to Workington, which earned the local name "The Track of the Ironmasters". General goods and passenger services were provided, but were very small beer compared with mineral traffic.

The founding Act of Parliament of June 1878 confirmed the company's agreement with the Furness Railway that the latter would operate the line for one third of the receipts.

At the railway grouping of 1923, the line was incorporated into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway network.

Passenger trains consisted of antiquated Furness stock hauled largely by elderly Furness engines referred to as "...rolling ruins..." by the author Grandon McGowan after a footplate ride in 1949.

No Sunday passenger service was ever provided on the line.

Cleator Moor West closed on 13 April 1931 when normal passenger traffic ended along the line. Diversions and specials, for example to football matches, made use of the line, but it was not easy to use as a through north-south route because all such trains would have to reverse at Moor Row or Corkickle.

An enthusiasts' special ran through on 6 September 1954, the only to do so using main line passenger stock. The next such train to traverse any C&WJR metals did so in 1966 at the north end of the line, three years after the line through Cleator Moor closed.

Cleator Moor East railway station was the second station built by the C&WJR in the growing industrial town of Cleator Moor, Cumbria, England.

Subsidence led the company to build a deviation line which curved round the west side of the original station and the growing settlement, in a similar manner to what it was forced to do at Eskett a few miles to the east. They built a passenger station on the deviation line - known locally as "The Bowthorn Line" - which would go on to be called Cleator Moor East.

Cleator Moor Railway Station
Cleator Moor Railway Station, C1960
When the deviation line and station opened in 1866 the original station was closed to passengers and became "Cleator Moor Goods Depot." It remained open for goods traffic until the 1950s.

Whilst some Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont Railway (WCER) mineral, goods and passenger traffic to and from Rowrah passed north along the line to Marron Junction, the greater part arrived and left southwards towards Moor Row and therefore passed through Cleator Moor. Mineral traffic was also generated locally from the quarries and mines such as the Iron Works within sight of the station.

In 1922 seven all stations passenger trains called at Cleator Moor East in each direction, with an extra on Whitehaven Market Day. Four were Rowrah to Whitehaven services, the other three plied a long, circuitous route between Workington Main and Whitehaven via Camerton, Marron Junction, Ullock, Rowrah and Moor Row.

Cleator Moor East station's owning Whitehaven, Cleator and Egremont company was taken over by the LNWR and Furness Railway in 1879 as a Joint Line, whereafter the section through the station was usually worked by the LNWR. Goods traffic typically consisted of a two daily turns Up and Down.

L&NW and FR Boundary Stone, Woodend Railway Station
L&NW and FR Boundary Stone
Mineral traffic was the dominant flow, though this was subject to considerable fluctuation with trade cycles. Stations and signalling along the line south of Rowrah were changed during the Joint regime to conform to Furness Railway standards.

Cleator Moor East station closed on 13 April 1931 when normal passenger traffic ended along the line, though workmen's trains were reinstated in March 1940, only to be withdrawn a month later. An enthusiasts' special ran through on 5 September 1954. After scant occasional use the line northwards from Rowrah was abandoned in 1960 and subsequently lifted.

The line southwards from Rowrah through Cleator Moor East lead a charmed life, continuing with a limestone flow from a quarry at Rowrah until 1978, after which all traffic ceased and the tracks were lifted.
  • The London and North Western Railway (LNWR, L&NWR) was a British railway company between 1846 and 1922. In the late 19th century the L&NWR was the largest joint stock company in the United Kingdom.
  • The old railway at Cleator Moor now forms a part of the Coast to Coast or Sea to Sea Cycle Route (C2C). It is a 140 miles (230 km) cycle route opened in 1994, claimed to be Great Britain's most popular long-distance cycle route.

COMMENTS

Name

Cleator Moor History,32,Cleator Moor News,35,Copeland Borough Council,31,Cumbria News,300,Jobs In Cleator Moor,4,Letters,1,Photos Of Cleator Moor,6,Site News,1,UK News,4,Walking Routes,3,Whats On,7,Your MP,22,
ltr
item
Little Ireland | Cleator Moor: The Railway
The Railway
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UK4JWu8sGAs/XcKAbndxoGI/AAAAAAAAVbw/0iQtxH-spJUi0tEcrocXPV2m63xJy6zzQCLcBGAsYHQ/s320/cleator_moor_railway_station.jpg
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UK4JWu8sGAs/XcKAbndxoGI/AAAAAAAAVbw/0iQtxH-spJUi0tEcrocXPV2m63xJy6zzQCLcBGAsYHQ/s72-c/cleator_moor_railway_station.jpg
Little Ireland | Cleator Moor
https://www.littleireland.co.uk/2019/11/the-railway.html
https://www.littleireland.co.uk/
https://www.littleireland.co.uk/
https://www.littleireland.co.uk/2019/11/the-railway.html
true
4367044361856627147
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU CATEGORY ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy