Little Ireland is a local hub keeping residents informed of occurrences in and around the town with in-depth coverage. News, history, photos, and lots more. If you want to read news about, cleator moor health centre, cleator moor celtic, cleator moor post office, cleator moor activity centre, cleator moor library, cleator moor taxis, cleator moor chemist, cleator moor dentist, cleator moor weather, cleator moor abc, cleator moor age uk, cleator moor autobodies, cleator moor accommodation, cleator moor astroturf, cleator moor army cadets, cleator moor attack ,cleator moor activity centre whitehaven ,cleator moor bowls centre , cleator moor bike shop, cleator moor brass band, cleator moor boxing club, cleator moor brewery, cleator moor businesses, cleator moor bus times, cleator moor bowling green, cleator moor business centre, b&b cleator moor, cleator moor council, cleator moor credit union, cleator moor crash, cleator moor chattanooga, cleator moor celtic twitter, cleator moor , umbria, c & e builders cleator moor, c and c taxis cleator moor, cleator moor doctors, cleator moor dental clinic, cleator moor dental centre, then you have come to the right place!

What's more, Little Ireland also covers cleator moor dentist, cleator moor dog kennels, j d autos cleator moor, cleator moor emergency dentist, cleator moor events, cleator moor england, cleator moor emeralds, cleator moor to egremont bus times, cleator moor to egremont, cleator moor industrial estate, cleator moor to ennerdale bridge, cleator moor cumberland england, cleator moor fellview, cleator moor fc, cleator moor flower shop, cleator moor football club, cleator moor fitness centre, cleator moor facebook, cleator moor florists, cleator moor funeral directors, cleator moor fitness classes, cleator moor for sale, cleator moor garage, cleator moor gp, cleator moor gun shop, cleator moor google maps, cleator moor grotto, cleator moor gun club, cleator moor gbh, cleator moor celtic ground, cleator moor history, cleator moor houses for sale, cleator moor hotels, cleator moor health centre birks road, cleator moor health centre pharmacy, cleator moor hairdressers, cleator moor health centre prescriptions, cleator moor indoor bowling club.

If that doesn't whet your appetite, then what about the following from Little Ireland? cleator moor indian, cleator moor irish, cleator moor iron ore mines, cleator moor indian takeaway, cleator moor walk in centre, cleator moor jobs, cleator moor celtic juniors, cleator moor man, cleator moor murders, cleator moor mines, cleator moor methodist church, cleator moor medical centre, cleator moor masonic hall, cleator moor man found dead, cleator moor masonic centre, cleator moor market ,cleator moor news ,cleator moor new houses ,cleator moor nursery school, cleator moor revealed, cleator moor rightmove, cleator moor restaurants, cleator moor road closure, cleator moor rugby club, cleator moor recycling, cleator moor railway, cleator moor roll of honour, cleator moor surgery, cleator moor shops, cleator moor school, cleator moor sports centre, cleator moor sports field, cleator moor swimming pool, cleator moor spiritual church, cleator moor surgery birks road, cleator moor takeaway, cleator moor to whitehaven, cleator moor travis perkins, cleator moor town councillors, cleator moor credit union opening times.

[/fa-sliders-h/ LATEST STORIES]_$type=slider$m=0$ct=0$cm=0$c=8$va=0$b=show$a=0$i=show$show=home

The Hippodrome


The Hippodrome, Cleator Moor
The Hippodrome, C1930
Pedley and Relph were showmen who helped pioneer the Bioscope show - a music hall and travelling cinema. The heyday of the Bioscope was from the late 1890s until World War I.

Bioscope shows were fronted by the largest fairground organs, and these formed the entire public face of the show. A stage was usually in front of the organ, and dancing girls would entertain the crowds between film shows.

Films shown in the Bioscope were primitive, and the earliest of these were made by the showmen themselves. Later, films were commercially produced.

Bioscope shows were integrated, in Britain at least, into the Variety shows in the huge Music Halls which were built at the end of the nineteenth century. In 1923, Pedley and Relph established themselves in Cleator Moor, at the Hippodrome.

Pedley was a man of great strength of character, scrupulously fair and good living, he was nonetheless a good businessman. He made money, and made it fast, and when he put his energies and capital into new enterprise it quickly returned cash for him. 

The Hippodrome was built of a wooden frame and sheet iron. It opened its doors on Boxing Day, 1910. Professional musical hall acts provided the live entertainment. Short, silent comedies were wound out by hand and projected onto the screen. There was also a fiddle and piano accompaniment to add colour. 

Mr P. A. Burns, a local publican was manager of the Hippodrome.

Pedleys interests in Cleator Moor were not only restricted to motion pictures, for he also built a billiards hall in Victoria Street.

The Hip had a wooden floor full of splinters. The floor sloped up until the seated area, which were steeply tiered. The first six rows were wooden benches then the seating afterwards was of a slighter higher class. After these, the aisle widened, leading to the top tier, which were traditionally for "lovers".

The building had a corrugated tin roof and often rattled as local children threw stones onto it, much to the annoyance of those in the top tier.

In 1920, after a difference of opinion with the local council, Pedley decided to up roots and leave Cleator Moor.

Stanley Rogers, who operated a group of cinemas in the Newcastle area, and who controlled the Theatre Royal in Whitehaven, bought the Hippodrome. 

During the 1920's, as the Motion Picture industry improved in length and quality, the old Hip remained unchanged, yet continued to keep its head above water. During this time, a rival concern opened on Jacktrees Road. 

From 1922 until his retirement in 1946, the Hippodrome was managed by Mr Samuel Humphries, a respected figure in Cleator Moor. He was succeeded by Mr John R. Edgar, who came from Newcastle as a relief operator, a few months before his appointment as manager. 

In 1947, a new company was formed - The Hippodrome Ltd. Minor improvements were made to the interior of the building, but it was not until May 1951 that the problem of renovation was tackled in earnest. 

The major construction work began, with local builders, joiners, electricians, painters and roofing experts being employed. Strip by strip, the old tin roofing was removed. Metal mesh was laid to the walls, and then concrete applied, and finally a layer of rough cast applied to help weatherproof the job. The roof was relaid with asbestos sheets. A new brick front was built around the old operating box, giving greater space and head room. 

The new-look building was renamed, The Regal.

The remarkable thing about the construction work was that cinema shows were never interrupted, until the final 10 days of work, when the installation of Gaumont Kalee projectors was carried out. 

The projection, and sound system were of a similar type used in cinemas in the West End of London. New lighting had been installed throughout the Regal and the seating arrangements in the stalls and pit were altered to give greater leg room, and at the same time to increase the capacity from 500 to 540.

Tip-up seats were installed in place of the wooden forms which were near the screen. Walls were panelled with hardboard, and the praesidium repainted. 

The new Regal was by no means a luxurious accommodation, but it was a lot more comfortable and warmer than the old Hip. The draughts and the noise of rain and hail on the roof and sides of the old Hippodrome used to drown out the soundtrack could no longer be heard. The new projector was also a lot quieter than the old one, whose constant hum was a irritation of the Hip. 

The reconstruction of The Regal cost some £7,000. The Regal closed its doors to the picture seeking public on the 30th August 1962, and became The Regal Bingo Club.

Today, The Regal is no more, having been razed to the ground. 
The Regal, Cleator Moor
The Regal, C1960


Alternatively, please browse these items:

[/fa-rss/ LATEST STORIES FROM LITTLE IRELAND]_$type=three$author=hide$cm=0$ct=0$va=0$hide=home

[/fa-arrow-alt-circle-down/ READ ALL ABOUT IT:]_$type=one$m=0$c=1$cm=0$l=0$va=0$hide=home$sr=random




Book,1,Cleator Moor History,43,Cleator Moor News,107,Copeland Borough Council,84,Cumbria News,1312,News,1871,Photography,19,Photos For Sale,9,Photos Of Cleator Moor,8,Photos of Cumbria,11,UK News,225,Walking Routes,3,West Cumbria News,243,Your MP,46,
Cleator Moor | Cumbria: Little Ireland: The Hippodrome
The Hippodrome
Cleator Moor | Cumbria: Little Ireland
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All SUGGESTED READING LITTLE IRELAND ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content