Cleator Moor is set for a multi-million pound redevelopment after it was announced today that the Town has been offered £22.5m in funding from the Governments Towns Fund. The vision for Cleator Moor is to offer work in world class companies in a range of sectors, exporting to customers across the globe.
The funding will make way for a raft of new projects for the town, as developed by the Cleator Moor Towns Board, including renewing the Square and creating an attractive environment for under used units, enhanced sports and leisure provisions and development of a high-quality sustainable transport network.
The funding will also see the transformation of the Leconfield Industrial Estate.
Copeland Mayor, Mike Starkie said: "I am thrilled to announce that Copeland Council and the Cleator Moor Town Fund Board have been offered a phenomenal £22.5 million for the town through the Government’s Towns Fund.
"I’d like to congratulate everyone from the Town Deal Board and Copeland Borough Council who have worked so hard on the bids thus far. We also thank Trudy Harrison MP, the NDA and Sellafield Ltd for their continued support.
"This investment from MHCLG will help create a sustainable – and prosperous – future for this wonderful town. It will encourage employment, harness growth and innovation, improve health and wellbeing, facilitate regeneration, and enhance our visitor economy, transport and accessibility.
"We now look forward to working with the Town Deal Board to work up the project detail in full over the next 12 months."
Trudy Harrison, MP for Copeland, said: “As the Member of Parliament for Copeland, I am proud that this government has delivered on its promise to regenerate our towns.
“For the residents of Cleator Moor, this is the most significant public investment in living memory.
“The scope of these programmes is unparalleled and will kickstart the much needed change that the town deserves.”
Kayleigh Daniels, Chair of the Cleator Moor Town Deal Board, said: “This really is fantastic news for Cleator Moor. Over the past years, even decades, the town has been home to so many passionate people with a desire to do good for our town. This result really feels like the culmination of all that hard work.
“As a board we are already fully bought-in to Cleator Moor as the place to be to set up a business, raise a family, and socialise with friends; but with this money and the proposed investments, we can build on this momentum, while laying a solid foundation for future generations to build on for years to come.”
Communities Secretary, Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP, said: “We are levelling up towns and cities across the country by building stronger and more resilient local economies, boosting prosperity and opportunity in our communities, and helping them build back better from the pandemic.
“Today I am announcing new town deals in 26 areas, backed by over £610 million investment from the Towns Fund. This will support locally-led projects to transform disused buildings and public spaces, deliver new green transport and create new opportunities for people to develop new skills. This is a boost for communities and businesses across England.”
Copeland Borough Council was invited to bid for funding on behalf of Cleator Moor (incorporating Cleator) in January last year, and a Town Deal Board made up of community representatives has worked with the support of the council to produce its Town Investment Plan.
In September 2020, £500,000 was made available for work around Cleator Moor, from the Fund. This has seen an immediate benefit with new cycle path connections being established. A new playpark on Jacktrees Road has opened; and a new 3G pitch at Cleator Moor Bowls and Activity Centre is being readied for an influx of people .
|Cleator Moor Playpark|
|Cleator Moor 3G pitch|
Today's announcement from Robert Jenrick, the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government means that work can now begin on a:
- Enterprising Town – developing an enterprise campus on the Leconfield Industrial Estate aimed at leveraging the economic growth potential of the Sellafield supply chain through a cluster approach to growing and diversifying the West Cumbria economy
- Revitalised Town – creating an enhanced focal point to increase activity and footfall around the Town Square through bringing vacant and underutilised buildings back into active use, set with an attractive new public realm. Uses will include a cultural community hub and enhanced business space.
- Campus Town – providing flexible, fit for purpose student accommodation to facilitate planned growth at the University of Central Lancashire’s Westlakes Campus using vacant or derelict sites in Cleator Moor. This will support vitality and footfall in the town centre.
- Healthy Town – enhanced sports and leisure provision through the redevelopment of existing provision to provide a modern multi-purpose centre including an indoor sports hall, flexible studio space, gym and café, alongside wider health and well-being provision, and targeted youth activity.
- Connected Town – delivering a programme of transport and related public realm interventions to facilitate a high-quality integrated and sustainable transport network which improves connections between employment, education, amenities and leisure, and transforms the accessibility and attractiveness of Cleator Moor.
|Leconfield Industrial Estate|