Police say that there has been a surge in vehicle crime in Whitehaven lately where items have been stolen from insecure vehicles. Officers are urging residents to not become a victim.
Top Tips To Keep Your Car Safe
• Never leave keys in the ignition or in your car, even for a short time.
• Park with care, if possible in a busy, well lit area.
• If you have a garage use it. If you park on a driveway, close & lock any gates.
• Close windows, sunroof, lock doors & activate security alarms when leaving your car.
• Take valuables with you when you leave your car, eg: cash, credit cards, mobile phones, satellite navigation systems etc.
• If you have no choice make sure valuables are locked in the boot, taking care no-one is watching you.
• Keep your driving and vehicle documents safe & not in your car.
• Postcode your valuables with a UV pen.
• Make sure your keys are secure at home & work.
• On cold mornings, don’t leave your car unattended with the engine running while it warms up.
• Check your vehicle regularyregularly if parked for any length of time.
• Be vigilant - report suspicious activity.