In September 2019, Cleator Moor was invited to bid for £25 million from the Government's Towns Fund. In March of this year, it was announced that Cleator Moor would receive £500,000 of immediate funding to help progress plans.
The team behind the Cleator Moor bid have been working hard to develop a vision and strategy to create and enhance a sustainable future for the town. The bid for funding will be submitted in January 2021. Little Ireland takes a look at developments to date.
To date, the Town Fund team have looked at various options in enhancing the town, from faster broadband connections to better transport links and redevelopment of the Kangol Mills estate. A long list of projects have been compiled by the Town Fund team, of which 45 fit in with the Town Deal themes.
- Connectivity - 5 projects
- Urban regeneration - 20 projects
- Skills and Enterprise - 20 projects
The list is to be shortened and developed for funding to be spent in March 2026. The following themes are emerging:
- Hub and Spoke
Town Centre regeneration, with derelict property put back into use. Walking and cycling 'spokes' leading from the square to key sites. Better broadband infrastructure for business within the town.
- Leconfield Development
Urban regeneration, Skills and Enterprise.
- Cleator Mills Development
Urban regeneration, Skills and Enterprise. Working in partnership to save a cultural landmark.
- To create a campus town capitalising on our opportunities through investment in skills and R&D.
- To create a strong active and growing community where the benefits of economic growth are equitably shared and young people can thrive and pursue clear progression skills and employment pathways to success.
- To grow the economy through diversification and enhanced competitiveness to provide a range of quality employment opportunities including key sectors of manufacturing, clean growth and tourism and stimulate business start-up and growth.
- To build on our natural and industrial heritage to attract residents and visitors to enjoy an enhanced culture and leisure offer set within attractive places and spaces including an animated town square and upgraded conservation area.
- To deliver investment in a diverse and attractive housing offer through new build and renewal and quality sites and premises facilitating business start up and growth.
- To reduce deprivation and improve community health and well-being.
- To enhance digital accessibility and secure sustainable movement through active travel and improved transport connections.
A transformed and contemporary town embracing its rich past and vibrant future, committed to the pursuit of inclusive and clean growth. Cleator Moor will realise its full potential as an attractive, well-connected and outward looking community endowed with civic pride and aspirational progression routes to high level skills and a diverse range of employment opportunities within innovative and successful businesses. The high-quality environment will offer attractive housing, arts, culture and leisure provision, and town centre vitality meeting the needs of residents and visitors alike.
- What is the one thing you would change about Cleator Moor to increase trade and job opportunities - and promote economic regeneration?
- Stay up to date with developments on the Cleator Moor Town Fund Facebook Page.