Emergency Services dealt with a large fire on the Leconfield Industrial Estate at Cleator Moor last night (28 Aug).
Residents nearby reported hearing gas canisters exploding at the height of the fire. Flames dancing in the night sky could be seen as far as Moor Row.
The fire took hold at the Whitehaven Skip depot. The skip compound contains old tyres, cars, furniture and everything in-between. Firefighters were still on site this morning, damping down.
Cleator Moor Town Councillors have been worried about conditions at the compound for quite some time, often raising the issue in council chambers. On 3rd September 2019, Councillors requested that a planning officer from Cumbria County Council, and an officer from Environmental Health from Copeland Borough Council be brought in to investigate how materials were being stored. There was a partial clean-up of the site earlier this year.
A spokesperson from Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service said:
"At approximately 22.20, Whitehaven’s wholetime appliance was mobilised to reports of a fire in the open at the Leconfield Industrial Estate.
"On arrival the crew found a large, well developed fire on the site of a skip company premises. Crews immediately requested additional resources. Four appliances and the Joint Incident Command unit attended the incident
"Crews worked extremely hard throughout the night to gain control of the fire using hosereels and main jets to extinguish the fire. This work was difficult due the fire getting into deep seats of the refuse and waste on site.
"The fire tied up a large number of fire service resources locally and other appliances were bought in from surrounding areas to ensure that fire cover was safely maintained for the locality.
"The cause of the fire is being treated as suspicious and anyone with any information as to the cause is asked to contact the local police or crimestoppers."
Photos: Cumbria Fire And Rescue Service.