Police are appealing for any witnesses of a theft from a motor vehicle in the area of Houghton between the 7th and 8th February.
A number of power tools have been stolen from commercial vehicles and, on at least one occasion, access to the vehicle has been made by smashing the driver window and then unlocking the rear to remove the tools.
Police urge professional labourers to take steps to prevent further thefts occurring. Most vehicle crime is opportunistic and happens as a result of a vehicle being left vulnerable or unsecure. Protect yourself from thieves by:
• Removing tools and equipment from your vehicle
• Park in well-lit areas
• If possible park in areas covered by CCTV
• Remove sat-navs and other valuable possessions from display
• Lock your vehicle and windows, even if you are just popping away for a few moments
• Fit anti-tamper wheel nuts to secure alloy wheels (stolen wheels are valuable, either as parts or for their scrap value)
• Secure anything that's on the outside of your vehicle, using cable locks, padlocks and self-locking tools chests
Following these simple steps will help prevent crime and save you the hassle and expense of having to repair any damage caused during a vehicle break-in.